Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth will propel the development of human civilization beyond the traditional timeline of a Civilization game; by exploring humanity's future on an alien world. For the first time; players will lead factions divided by contrasting cultures and evolve their new civilizations to reflect their chosen destiny. Players will experience an array of new gameplay possibilities; including nonlinear technological progression; deeper customization of chosen factions; and an entire alien world that will change the very identity of each faction based on their choices.
- Seed the Adventure: Players will establish a cultural identity; select a leader and sponsor an expedition by assembling the spacecraft; cargo and colonists through a series of choices that directly impact starting conditions when arriving on the new alien planet.
- Alien World: Exploring the benefits and dangers of a new planet filled with dangerous terrain; mystical resources and hostile lifeforms unlike those of Earth; players will build outposts; unearth ancient alien relics; tame new forms of life; develop flourishing cities and establish trade routes to create prosperity for their people.
- New Technology Web: Reflecting forward progress in an uncertain future; technology advancement will occur through a series of nonlinear choices that affect the development of mankind. The tech web is organized around three broad themes; each with a distinct victory condition.
- New Quest System: Quests are infused with fiction about the planet; and will help guide players through a series of side missions that will aid in the collection of resources; upgrading units; and advancing through the game.
- New Orbital Layer: Players will build and deploy advanced military; economic and scientific satellites that provide strategic offensive; defensive and support capabilities from orbit.